René Furterer Sun Care

After spending the entire day frolicking in the pool with friends this weekend just as if it was simply destiny a package of René Furterer Sun Care was waiting for me at my front door. Whenever I get samples for editorial review here on The Anti Hair Slave, I get all excited and it's like Christmas for me! Anyway, I immediately headed to my shower to tend to my tresses. Now since I had just shampooed a day or so prior the plan was to co-wash and then deep condition.

Before I get started on the product reviews, I will give you some background on the René Furterer Sun Care Collection and why it caught my eye. As you all know, my hair is chemically treated with a relaxer. A chemical relaxer changes the protein bonds in the hair resulting in a change in the appearance and texture of the hair, those protein bonds are called Keratin. The goal with a relaxer is to change the appearance and texture without doing too much damage to layer of Keratin because if you damage the layer of keratin your hair will look and be damaged and unhealthy. The folks over at René Furterer have created a system called KPF (Keratin Protection Factor) that is scientifically proven to measure the amount of Keratin it protects. The keratin protecting agents and keratin rebuilding structure in the products protect the Keratin you already have and also help preserve the longevity of Brazilian keratin straightening (sodium chloride free and sulfate free).

Now on to the product reviews (in order from my favorite to least favorite):



Repairing After Sun Mask ($42, Beauty.com)

Claims: Strengthen and nourish sun exposed strands with René Furterer Repairing after sun mask. Palm butter moisturizes while a complex of phytosterols, ceramides and essential fatty acids rebuild the keratin structure, providing deep hydration that leaves hair detangled, soft and supple.



Thoughts: The sunny yellow color of this product was enough to make me smile and the light creamy almost buttery scent is also a plus. Since I had company over it was also a great benefit that you only need to leave this conditioner in for 3-5 minutes. So I left if on for about 4 minutes while I tended to my other needs in the shower and when I rinsed my hair was soft and super easy to detangle.

No Rinse Moisturizing Spray ($23, Beauty.com)

Claims: After soaking in the rays, let your hair soak in moisture with René Furterer No rinse moisturizing spray. The conditioning spray rehydrates, detangles and repairs parched strands and can be used on wet or dry hair.

Thoughts: This product came in a close second place almost beating out the conditioner. To use this product you make sure you shake it up very well to get all the ingredients mixed properly before proceeding to spray your entire head. This product also has a great scent that reminds me of summer time on the beach with a buttery hint of something that must be the Palm Butter. After using this spray and sleeping overnight without a head scarf my edges and nape are still soft, which never happens. My only issue is that the bottle is on the small side at 5 fl. oz.

Protective summer oil KPF 90 ($23, Beauty.com)

Claims: Without even dipping a toe, look freshly emerged from the ocean with the “wet look” effect of René Furterer Waterproof nutritive oil KPF 90. This spray provides all day protection against the sun, blocking 90% of UV rays, while preventing the buildup of salt and chlorine. Hair is left shiny and smooth for a day outdoors. Ideal after keratin straightening service to maintain the results.

Thoughts: This product took a few minutes to grow on me. After I was done styling my hair I spritzed a little of this product onto my 'do thinking it was going to add some shine. I went to smooth it in and noticed that my hair felt a little bit hard like I'd applied hair spray, I checked the ingredients and realized the first ingredient is alcohol. This put me off a little because it's called Protective Summer Oil. I did noticed however, that it you don't touch your hair for a few seconds and then smooth it in your hair feels like it's been spritzed with a sheen spray instead of hair spray.
As previously stated, products in this review were submitted for consideration by PR company, read full disclosure.